Troubleshooting VMS CR5400
Learn how to solve common issues with the VMS CR5400 system.
If you still have questions or prefer to get help directly from an agent, please submit a request.
We’ll get back to you as soon as possible.
- Emergency Management Suite
- Navigate360 Training Institute
- PBIS Rewards
- Behavioral Threat Assessment Case Manager
- Visitor Management
- School Check In
- ALICE Training Institute
- Detect - Social Sentinel
- P3 - Anonymous Tip Reporting
Power Cycling the CR5400:
These steps must be completed to ensure that resetting the scanner works properly:
- Unplug the scanner from the USB cable
- Close the Navigate360 ID Scanner Application
- Plug the scanner back in and wait until the light turns solid blue
- Launch the Navigate360 ID Scanner app again, and make sure it says READER_ENABLED on the bottom left corner of the screen. This app should have a shortcut available on the Desktop.
View of the app when it's running:
Settings on the Navigate360 ID Scanner App:
If the scanner is not working, please open the Navigate360 ID Scanner App and ensure that the correct District ID and Building ID is inputted into the app. If you do not know your district or building ID, go to Device Settings from the Visitor Management app, click ID Scanning Method, and when CR5400 is selected, and scroll down until you see the yellow line that includes the district and building IDs. The Scanner ID should automatically fill in when the scanner is plugged in properly and enabled, but it can also be found on the bottom of the physical scanner.
Note: The Scanner ID is case sensitive
Also, make sure that your scanner is assigned to the building you are logged into by checking the Device Settings->ID Scanning Method. Enter the Scanner ID and a nickname for the scanner. Click Add Scanner.
Note: it may take several seconds for the scanner to populate on the page in a purple box. We recommend copying and pasting the scanner ID from the Navigate360 ID Scanner app to Visitor Management for best results.
After you have made any changes to the Navigate360 ID Scanner app, click Settings->Save Settings. You can then click Settings->Minimize to System Tray after this to minimize the application to the taskbar where it will be out of view.
When there is a successful scan but it is not showing in Visitor Management:
If you receive a Windows message indicating that the ID scanned successfully but the visitor is not showing in Visitor Management, please try these troubleshooting steps:
- Please check your Device Settings and make sure the correct scanner is added to the school you are logged into. Note: The Scanner ID is case-sensitive.
- Check the Navigate360 ID Scanner App to ensure the correct Building and District IDs are inputted and saved. Make sure the app stays running.
- Be sure to click Check-in Visitor to process the scanned driver’s license.
- If you have more than one scanner configured for the school, make sure you choose the correct scanner from the drop-down menu after clicking the Check-in Visitor button.
- Ensure that no other software that previously used the CR5400 scanner is running or installed on the computer.
- Make sure the Navigate360 ID Scanner app is always running. This acts as the bridge between the hardware and Visitor Management and is required for the scanner to work properly.
- Power Cycling is a good idea in almost any situation where the scanner was working previously and is not currently. Be sure to follow all the steps in order as they are listed in this guide.